
The Middle East maritime industry is facing one of its most difficult security environments in years, with commercial vessels coming under attack or avoiding major shipping corridors across the Strait of Hormuz and the Red Sea, while a renewed piracy incident off Somalia adds another layer of risk for shipowners and seafarers.
The latest developments show that the problem is no longer confined to a single chokepoint. Security risks are emerging across the wider Arabian Gulf, Red Sea, Bab el-Mandeb and Gulf of Aden — creating a complicated operating environment for global shipping.
Strait of Hormuz: Commercial vessels remain under attack
The Strait of Hormuz has become the most immediate concern for tanker and bulk shipping.
On August 14, the UAE said an Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC) vessel came under attack while transiting the strait. ADNOC reported no injuries and said the situation was brought under control. Reuters reported that the incident was the third involving ADNOC vessels in less than a week, while the UAE attributed the attacks to Iran.
The situation deteriorated further on August 18, when UK Maritime Trade Operations (UKMTO) reported that a vessel travelling outbound through Hormuz had been struck by an unidentified projectile. The impact damaged the engine room and caused a crew casualty, with the remaining crew assisted by the Omani Coast Guard. Authorities were investigating the incident.
The operational consequence is visible in vessel movements. Reuters reported on August 19 that only six commodity vessels had crossed Hormuz on Tuesday, compared with a recent 10-day average of 11. Before the conflict, the waterway handled roughly one-fifth of global crude oil and LNG shipments.
For shipowners, the issue is therefore not simply whether the strait is technically open. The question is whether a vessel can transit with an acceptable level of security, insurance exposure and commercial risk.
Red Sea and Bab el-Mandeb add another threat
At the southern end of the region, the security situation is also deteriorating.
On August 11, a small Tanzania-flagged cargo ship was attacked in the Bab el-Mandeb. Reuters reported that three crew members were killed, while UKMTO confirmed that a cargo vessel off al-Mokha had been hit by an unidentified projectile.
The attack comes after Yemen's Houthi movement declared a maritime embargo against Saudi Arabia in July. Reuters reported that average traffic through Bab el-Mandeb had fallen to about 32 vessels per day from approximately 50 before the blockade.
Saudi oil movements are also becoming harder to track. Reuters reported that tankers loading Saudi crude at Yanbu have increasingly switched off AIS signals, with recent voyages operating as so-called "dark" voyages because of the perceived attack risk.
This creates a second major problem for the shipping industry: visibility itself is deteriorating. When vessels disappear from AIS tracking, traders, charterers, insurers and supply-chain planners have less reliable information about cargo movements and actual supply availability.
Somalia: piracy is returning to the wider security picture
While the Gulf and Red Sea problems are primarily linked to geopolitical conflict, piracy is again becoming a concern in the western Indian Ocean.
The Maritime Executive reported that an unnamed cargo vessel was boarded by at least eight pirates on August 17, approximately 4.5 nautical miles south of Maraya on Somalia's southern coast. The crew was reported safe and EUNAVFOR Operation ATALANTA was monitoring the situation. A security company identified the vessel as the 1,400-dwt Cameroon-registered Lutuf, a small general cargo ship sailing from Turkey towards Dar es Salaam.
The incident is particularly significant because it comes alongside efforts by countries participating in the Djibouti Code of Conduct to establish a new maritime security task force. Four other ships were reportedly still being held in the region, demonstrating that piracy risks have not disappeared even after years of improved international maritime security.
A difficult operating environment for shipping
The combined picture is increasingly concerning.
Hormuz is threatening tanker and energy shipping.
Bab el-Mandeb and the Red Sea are creating risks for cargo and tanker movements.
The Gulf of Aden and Somali coast are again showing signs of piracy activity.
The impact extends well beyond vessel security. UNCTAD has warned that disruptions around Hormuz are increasing freight rates, marine fuel costs and war-risk insurance premiums, while creating wider consequences for global supply chains.
The International Maritime Organization (IMO) says more than 20,000 seafarers are affected by the Middle East situation, including crew members stranded on vessels unable to leave the Gulf. Its emergency evacuation framework has already helped evacuate 136 vessels and about 2,900 seafarers, although the programme is currently paused.
The current crisis is therefore becoming more than a regional security problem. It is turning into an operational challenge for shipowners, charterers, insurers, ports, energy companies and global supply chains.
The bigger concern
The most worrying feature is the simultaneous deterioration of several maritime corridors.
For the maritime industry, this is indeed a bad time for Middle East shipping. The immediate priority is not simply restoring vessel traffic, but restoring predictability, freedom of navigation and confidence among shipowners and seafarers.
Until that happens, higher risk premiums, slower vessel movements, rerouting, AIS-dark operations and elevated freight costs are likely to remain part of the Middle East shipping landscape.
Editorial note: This article reflects developments available as of 19 August 2026 and distinguishes confirmed maritime-security reports from allegations by the parties involved.
Popular Posts
Explore Topics
Comments







